Tuesday, March 21, 2006



So I am a nerd and I watch and listen to public broadcasting stations like NPR and GPB. I have been hearing a lot about the war in Iraq lately, and I have heard some interesting things.

Did anyone know that 87% of the citizens in Iraq want the U.S. troops to leave? Also, I learned that the death toll for U.S. soldiers is on the decline, while the death toll for the native people of Iraq is increasing. This is largely due to the fact that civil unrest has broken out.

So basically we are still there to try to make sure that a democratic government is put into place. I am glad that Sadam is gone from there and under trial for crimes against humanity. That's a really good thing. The people have been freed from him, and that should not be forgotten or taken for granted. But maybe we are trying too hard to force the democratic government into place there. It's too fast I think. That is something that has to come into place slowly. I've heard it said that democracy is something that is inside of every person naturally, and so it will eventually come out . So should we really force it in so quickly. I think maybe we should just get out, and lead by example. Haven't enough soldiers been killed yet? The Iraqi people have expressed in interviews that they were glad when we first invaded and they were liberated, but now they wish we would leave. They do not trust their politicians and they are scared. When will we stop? When should we stop? I'm no expert, and still trying to learn...

I don't know, what do you think?

1 comment:

B.R.Dailey said...

Dearest Morgan, I am so sympathetic to your plight as a young teacher. You have such a difficult job, needing to explain to our youth while needing to continue to learn for yourself. I applaud your efforts. Add Fox News to NPR and the others. Get all sides of the war effort. Be very careful digesting what the media show and tell you every day. They are after ratings, after all, for their advertisers. The truths they tell are only what they need to sell the action line. Soldiers setting up schools and hospitals don't bring viewers. Explosions and gunfights do. Listen to the President's words, and not the spin the media and their "experts" give them. Talk to older people and get their views and less to the younger generation. Experience pays off in the world of politics. And lastly, go with your gut. Believe me, my friend. After all, I'm not the Center of the Universe for nothing.